Ten Terrific Reasons NOT to Put a TV in Your Child’s Bedroom
Ten Terrific Reasons NOT to Put A TV in Your Child’s Bedroom
2. You will increase family dialogue while decreasing separation and isolation.
3. It is easier to make and enforce limits when the TV is in the family room.
4. Your child will be less likely to become overweight.
5. You will create opportunities to practice consensus seeking, deciding together which shows to watch.
6. It will communicate your belief that exercise, reading, family time, and other activities are more important than watching TV.
7. Your child will be less likely to learn about sex from television stereotypes.
8. He or she will learn to see the bedroom as a place of peace and comfort, used for rest and
9. Your child will spend more time studying.
10. It will keep you more involved in your child’s life.
Ten Terrible Reasons to Put A TV in Your Child’s Bedroom
1. You can watch whatever you want on the family room TV.
2. You don’t have to pay close attention to your child’s interests.
3. You won’t have to deal with questions like “Will you come out and play catch with me?” or
“Want to help me put this puzzle together?”
4. You won’t have to make any trips to the library so your child can pick out books.
5. It will be easier for you and your child to ignore the limits you set for the amount of
television watched and the type of programming allowed.
6. Your child won’t be interfering with your own busy life and require constant monitoring.
7. You won’t have to figure out how to deal with the whining when you say no to your child’s
request for a TV in his or her room.
8. Television is the universal babysitter. It will keep your kids occupied so you can indulge your own interests and handle your own agenda instead of parenting with purpose.
9. You won’t have to deal with questions about sexuality. All your child’s questions will be
answered through what he or she views on TV.
10. The TV is a stranger in your child’s bedroom influencing, guiding, directing, and causing the Great Family Disconnect. There is NO good reason not to GET IT OUT OF THERE, NOW!
***Chick Moorman and Thomas Haller are the authors of The Only Three Discipline Strategies You Will Ever Need: Essential Tools for Busy Parents and Parent Talk Essentials. They are two of the world’s foremost authorities on raising responsible, caring, confident children. They publish a free monthly e-zine for parents. To sign up for it or learn more about their seminars visit their website today – www.personalpowerpress.com***